Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Yup, this is what I had for breakfast this morning. I wouldn't call myself a vegan by any stretch of the imagination (cheese and ice cream are still huge crutches for me on that front), but I have been playing around with a lot of vegan recipes as of late: I definitely have my toe in the water as the health benefits of eating whole/plant based are too strong to deny. So, I have been spending a lot of time pursuing blogs and websites for killer recipes - all of which I share here when I find the great ones (and believe it or not there are a lot!). This gem is packed full of wholesome goodness, feels like you are eating dessert and the best part - I made it the night before so when I woke up breakfast was already made! Who could ask for more?









I adapted this recipe from one I found on Oh She Glows - one of my new favorite recipe blogs. Check her out, she has a lot of GREAT stuff!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups lightly packed shredded carrots
  • 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 10-cup/2.5 qt. casserole dish. I used an 8" x 11" rectangular casserole dish.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: shredded carrot, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla
  3. Add in cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder baking powder, and salt.
  4. Finally mix in the oatmeal, raisins and pecans to the mixture and stir until combined.
  5. Pour mixture into square baking dish, sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Press down on the oatmeal with a spoon so the oats sink into the milk.
  6. I let this set on my counter for about an hour while I baked my dinner, and let the oats soak up the milk.
  7. Bake, uncovered, for 32-37 minutes (I baked for 35 mins.) until lightly golden along edge. The oatmeal will still look a bit soft or wet in some spots when it comes out of the oven, but it will firm up as it cools.
  8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with whipped topping,  a drizzle of maple syrup, or some non-dairy yogurt. When the baked oatmeal is fully cool, it will firm up enough to be sliced into squares.
  9. Leftovers should keep for 3 days or so in the fridge or up to 2 weeks in the freezer.  Enjoy it warm, at room temp, or chilled straight from the fridge.