Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mexican Stir Fry

This is one of my most favorite dinners. It's really quick if you have a rice maker or already have your rice made ahead of time, and it's super healthy - a great way to get a lot of veggies into your diet! This dish is my go-to when I don't have a lot of time. YUM!










Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth/ or Water
1/2 Cup thinly sliced carrots
1 Cup Chopped Broccoli
1 Cup Chopped Cauliflower
1 Cup Quartered Cremini Mushrooms
1 Cup Chopped Zucchini
1 Tb. Mexican Spice Mix (or to taste)


Directions:

Make your Mexican Rice according to the recipe HERE. I recently got a rice maker for my birthday, and I LOOOOOVE it!!! It makes my life so much easier. I just throw all the ingredients into that baby, set it for when I want it done and walk away. At 5:30 pm I have perfect rice - every time! So, if you have a rice cooker do it that way, that's how I make my Mexican rice these days, but for many a year I did it on the stove, just like the recipe says.

About 15 minutes before your rice is done, get started on  your stir fry. Put your 1/4 cup vegetable broth/ or water into a non-stick frying pan. Toss in your carrots and put a lid on the pan to steam them for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on your liquid: if it cooks away, just add a little more at a time. After 5 minutes, and your carrots are mostly soft (I hate crunchy carrots in my stir fries!!!!), throw in your broccoli and cauliflower and steamed with lid for another 5 minutes - remembering to keep an eye on the liquid in your pan, you always want a little bit in the bottom.. Once veggies are crisp-tender add your mushrooms and zucchini and cook until all veggies are soft, but not mushy. Add your spice mix and continue to cook until all veggies are well coated.

Serve over the rice. I like to add a small sprinkling of shredded Mexican cheese on top, but this is optional. If you are watching your calories/fat intake, or are vegan you would obviously omit this ingredient. 

Now, eat up and feel good that you are getting a good helping of veggies for the day!!