Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mushroom-Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

I grew up eating spaghetti at least once a week - it was my dad's favorite food. I'm surprised he didn't name me Donatella.... however, I wouldn't mind having the amazingly thick hair that comes with the Italian heritage. My spaghetti is quite different than his was, a little more heart healthy, but just as good as what I grew up with. Enjoy this great Mushroom-Tomato Sauce and Gustate il vostro pasto.








Ingredients:

1/2 Medium Onion - finely chopped
1 Red Pepper - chopped
12 Large Cremini Mushrooms - quartered
2 Tb. Minced Garlic
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1-15 oz can Tomato  Sauce
1 Loose Fist of dry Spaghetti - cooked 


Directions:

Pan steam onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic by putting 2 Tb. water into a non-stick skillet and heating on a med-high burner. Throw in the veggies and cook until tender: if your skillet dries, just add a bit more water. Add Oregano, basil, salt, Italian seasoning and onion powder and stir until veggies are well coated: add tomato sauce.

Simmer sauce while you cook your noodles. If you do one small fist full of spaghetti noodles that comes out to about 6 servings (well, I guess it depends on how big your hands are... one of my fists).

When both are done I like to mix my sauce and noddles together instead of serving them separately. I do this for two reasons - it's the way my dad always did it and in order to serve spaghetti noodles and keep them from sticking together you have to coat them in oil, a step I prefer to not take in order to keep fat content down.